Is Acupuncture safe and what type of needles do you use?
Acupuncture is generally very safe, serious side effects are very rare (less than one per 10,000). We use only single-use, sterile disposable needles.
Does Acupuncture have side effects?
You need to be aware that:
- Drowsiness occurs after appointments in a small number of patients, and if affected, you are advised not to drive
- In around 3% of clients minor bleeding, or bruising can occur
- 1% of clients feel pain during an acupuncture session
- Less than 3% of clients feel worse after acupuncture. If this happens you should tell your acupuncturist immediately.
- Fainting may occur in certain clients, particularly if it's the 1st time you've had acupuncture
Is there anything your practitioner needs to know?
Apart from general health and medical details, it is important to let your acupuncturist know if;
- You have ever experience a fit, faint or 'funny turn'
- You have a pacemaker, or any other electrical implants
- You have a bleeding disorder
- You are taking anti-coagulants, or any other medication
- If you have damaged heart valves, or have any other risk of infection.